Frequently Asked Questions


What is an SWCD?

Soil and Water Conservation Districts (SWCD) are local units of government dedicated to land and water conservation.  They are established under Minnesota State Statute and governed by an elected board.  Carlton County SWCD was established in 1961

Does the SWCD offer soil and water testing?

We do not offer soil and water testing.  Please contact the Carlton County Zoning office at (218) 384-9176 for water testing and the Carlton County Extension office at (218) 384-3511 for soil testing.

Is there funding or grants to help pay for my project?

It depends on your project and where you are located.  Please call our office to discuss you options.

Who can help me decide what to do with my land?

We have several conservation technicians that can help.  Call us at (218) 384-3891 for a free site visit and personal consultation.

My septic is failing. Can you help?

We participate in the AgBMP low interest Loan program.  Give us a call to learn more.

Do you host any workshops?

Yes, we have several workshops throughout the year.  Give us a call to learn more or check out our facebook page.