- Feedlot improvements, manure storage basins and spreading equipment
- Conservation tillage equipment
- Terraces, waterways, sediment basins
- Shore and river stabilization
- Septic systems
- Other Projects that improve water quality
Cost Savings – The AgBMP Loan Program provides financing at below-market interest rates. These 3% low-interest loans save you money, making it more economical to implement practices that improve and protect water quality.
Money Available – Each year $10 million is available for loans in Minnesota. The AgBMP Loan Program is funded by the Minnesota State Legislature, the Minnesota Public Facilities Authority and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and is administered through the Minnesota Department of Agriculture. No grants are given by the program.
Who May Apply for Loans – Farmers, Rural Landowners and Farm Supply Businesses
Loans are used to restore or protect water quality, whether on a farm, a rural home site, in an unsewered community, or at a lakeside cabin.
- Maximum loan amount is $100,000
- Maximum loan length is 10 years
- Maximum interest rate is 3%
- Lender may charge customary fees
- Lender may require collateral
- Borrower must meet lending criteria
- Additional local limitations may apply
- Projects already completed
- Improving feedlots with more than 1,000 animal units
- Constructing a new facility
- The borrower proposes a project to the county for approval.
- If the borrower is eligible and the project addresses local water quality problems, the county approves the project and refers it to a participating local lender.
- The lender evaluates the financial details of the project and decides whether to offer a loan.
- The lender and the borrower negotiate the terms of the loan.
- The borrower completes the project.
- The borrower provides bills and receipts for the cost of the project to the lender.
- The lender requests money from the AgBMP Loan Program.
- The AgBMP Loan Program sends the requested money to the lender.
- The lender issues the loan to the borrower
- The borrower pays back the lender.
- The lender pays back the AgBMP Loan Program.
Local Participating Lenders
Cornerstone State Bank
1516 Cloquet Avenue
Cloquet MN 55720
How Do I Apply?
1. Fill out the AgBMP Loan Application.
2. Fill out the Request Form
3. Mail to Carlton SWCD office at P.O. Box 29, Carlton MN 55718, or
4. Drop off at the Carlton SWCD office at 414 South Avenue in Carlton.
Download the AgBMP Brochure
Additional information or questions? Contact the Carlton SWCD at 218-384-3891.