Our Mission: to “Assist land occupiers in protecting and enhancing the natural resources of Carlton County.”
The Carlton SWCD works to fulfill this mission in Carlton County by providing leadership in water quality and soil erosion issues including: Environmental and Conservation Education, Resource Planning, Project Planning and Implementation, and Financial Assistance Programs for Conservation Practice Implementation. This can be seen in the SWCD Mission Statement and in the vision identified by the SWCD Board of Supervisors:
- Build greater awareness of soil and water conservation programs available to Carlton County residents.
- Provide resources for Carlton County land occupiers to assist them in planning, implementing and funding the best management practices for the forested, agricultural and urban land in the county.
- Provide local leadership in the sustainable utilization of Carlton County’s natural resources.
- Promote environmental education to engage Carlton County youth in the responsible use of natural resources.
The Carlton County Soil and Water Conservation District (“SWCD”), formed in 1961, is a local unit of government established under state law to carry out conservation programs at the local level. Carlton County is steeped in history and the SWCD is proud to share in that rich heritage.
Board meetings: Board meetings are held on the second Monday of each month starting at 2:00 p.m. at the Carlton SWCD office.
Office hours: Our office is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. excluding holidays.
Some of the SWCD activities include:
- Information and advice to landowners
- Shoreland buffers and vegetation protection
- Educational activities
- Wetland Conservation Act
- Cost-Share assistance
- Forestry Assistance
- Low-Interest loans for Septic Systems
- Stream restoration projects
808 3rd Street
Carlton, MN 55718